YYYYAAAABBBAAAA DAAABBAAA DOOOO LONG WEEKEND!!!
Are the Flintstones still on T.V? Do you youngin’s know who the Flintstones are … Justin Timberlake said he was old at the Radio Music Awards … What the heck is happening to the world around me … 0o0o0o bunnies!!
Needless to say I’m PUMPED about the long weekend. To be honest, I don’t have much planned – just lots of family time and food. The usual long weekend shenanigans … oh yes, and of course an Easter egg hunt.
My brother, husband and I are all adults … I get it – there really are no kids nearby … but that’s why our Easter egg hunts are AMAZING!!
Some years we switch things up a bit, and we hide Easter chocolates for our parents to find … SO FREAKING HILARIOUS … not so fun, is finding week old chocolates in random places ( maybe a surprise in disguise to be honest). I thought since you’ll probably get your chocolate fix through Cadbury mini eggs … SERIOUSLY HOW ARE THESE SO ADDICTIVE … I’ve eaten the weight of a small child, in eggs in the last …. 24 hours – I’d say sorry … my tummy ache is making me say sorry … but it was sooooo good.
And still, easter isn’t the same without a little carrot cake .. and what’s dinner without dessert.
It’s a Carrot cake and cheese cake mish-mosh … and it’s so cute!!
This was supposed to be a jelly-roll sort of cake … buuuttt … I wanted cute bunnies. I’m also super scared of rolling a cake .. what if it cracks … what if the cake isn’t all the same thickness… seriously, too much stress for a dessert.
I’m so happy with the way these squares came out – they’re delicious, pretty and technically 2 desserts in one – WINNING!!
Linzer Speculaas Carrot Cake Bunny Squares
Speculaas Carrot Cake Layer
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder
- 3/4 cup flour + 1 tsp for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup crushed Biscoff or Speculaas cookies ( approx 3 cookies)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 14-ounce can (1 1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll pan with foil, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1 tsp of flour.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugars, oil, vanilla extract and coconut extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together salt, baking powder, ginger, all spice, cinnamon, cardamom, 3/4 cup flour and crushed Speculaas cookies.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until blended — stir in carrots.
- Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely — approximately 30 min. This is the best time to make the cheesecake layer.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Once your cake layer has cooled, taking your favourite cookie cutter ( I used a bunny) make cut outs, leaving 1 inch of cake between each.
- Remove the center of each of your cutouts ( helllloooo snack time!!)
- Layer your cheesecake batter over entire pan – filling in our bunny cutouts.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour / overnight.
- Once set, turn over onto a clean surface and slice.
I hope everyone has a delicious, safe Easter Long Weekend!!