Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyysssss….. first, I have to apologize — the site was down and I’m suuuuuuuppppeerrr late in posting this recipe!! Unless, we can all rewind and pretend we’re back at last wednesday?!?!
I’m sure we can all use a couple extra hours around this time of year – do we have a deal, or do we have a deal?!?! Gooooooooooodddddd deal.
I have booze to convince you if I already haven’t :).
But first, take a gander at these amazing cookies I received as part of this year’s Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!!
This is my third year participating, and it’s pretty much like an early preview to christmas every time I receive a package — aannnnndd best of all, we make some major dough in support of Cookies 4 Kids, bringing awareness to childhood cancers!! It’s a total win-win.
I received a gorgeous dozen Chocolate pistachio sables from the amazing Stacy of The Little Red Button … 4 words – Melt.In.Your.Mouth … seriously soon good!! And I also received a dozen scrumptious dozen Chewy Maple Syrup Fudge Cookies from Marie of Food Nouveau …. they totally had this Canadian Girl smitten!! Thank you thank you thank you to both of you!!
I know every year, amazing cookies are created for this special event, and in the past I’ve stuck with familiar holiday season flavours and to be frank, why fix something if it aint broke ( that’s probably not close to the saying, but you know what I mean). The base of my cookie was the flavour of ginger beer … a HUGE trinidadian classic around this time of year.
And it got me thinking/googling for cocktails with a ginger beer base…. hence the dark and stormy – throw in some orange and cranberry for a little zing and we have ourselves a killer cookie!!
I will warn you, this recipe yields a lot of cookies … like A LOT … I originally needed to only make at least 36 … let’s just say I made over 75 cookies with this recipe – you could easily make the cookies larger ooooorrrr cut the recipe in half.
Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cookies
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup gingerbeer
- 1 tsp rum extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cup bread flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp mixed peel
- ¼ cup crystalized ginger, diced
- 1 cup diced cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks and rum extract and mix until just combined.
- Add beer and mix again until just combined.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon, ground ginger, and orange zest mix until just combined.
- Add in mixed peel, crystalized ginger and cranberries.
- Scoop out cookie dough by the rounded tablespoon full onto prepared cookie sheets – note the cookies will spread.
- Bake at 325 for 14 minutes.
I hope you all have a beautiful holiday season …. I’m sure I’ll be back with a couple more posts before the new year 😉